A Cooking Rut...

 Monday, May 2, 2011

Have you ever been in a cooking rut? You know, constantly repeating the same 'ol meals every few weeks? Or, wanting to cook something then realizing you don't have one or two of the ingredients? Yeah, well I've been in one recently.

I generally pride myself on being a pretty good cook. I mean, I'm no Bobby Flay or Paula Deen, but I can hold my own in the kitchen. Being a stay at home wife, I normally like to let my creative juices flow in the kitchen making delicious new meals for the husband. Recently, not so much. It seemed the old tried and true recipes kept showing up over and over, without much variation.

So what is a girl to do? I'll tell you. Search the internet for cooking blogs and recipe sites. I have found several wonderful cooking blogs from mom and wives who make delicious things without all the hoopla of being too fancy. Just my style. I also found that both Kraft and Pillsbury have some great EASY recipes as well.

The meal plan was supposed to start yesterday, but Hubby took me out to lunch after church, and then we went to a cook out for dinner. Score! For not having to cook. I do, however, have my little menu on the fridge and everything is just getting pushed back a day. This time I actually am using the Kraft website for 99% of my recipes. I just thought it would help in forcing me to try completely new things, not to mention you can print of a grocery list directly from their site with everything you need for all the recipes you select. Easy! I also wanted to see what having a real plan would do for my grocery bill over the course of a month since I wouldn't have to keep running to the store for "just one thing" only to come home with 5. Saves a lot in the way of frustration too.

The plan is to try everything, then print off the recipes that we would like to have again (in the FUTURE...not next week) to add to my cookbook (that I'm going to make) that contains all of the things we love from a variety of locations. Maybe to hold myself accountable, and perhaps to help some of you others out there in food rut land, I will start posting my 2 week menu on here followed by a run down of what we thought of everything. At least that will be the plan for now. I'm sure I'll be MIA for a little bit once our little princess in here and turns our world upside down, followed by a move. At least my mom and grandma will be here to cook for us for a little while then. :)

So here goes:

The Challenge:
Make a 2 week menu, followed by a grocery list based on the menu. 

The Menu:
Monday- Creamy Tuna Casserole
Tuesday- Crispy Pesto Chicken
Wednesday - Cheesy Meatball Subs
Thursday - Chicken Alfredo Pasta
Friday- Polynesian Glazed Meatballs over Rice
Saturday- Leftover/Date Night
Sunday- Jude's Chicken Casserole
Monday- Creamy Shrimp and Rice
Tuesday- Spaghetti w/ Italian Sausage
Wednesday- Slow Cooker Chicken Curry w/ Basmati Rice
Thursday- Mexican Corn Bread w/ Salad
Friday- Saucy Pepper Steak over Rice
Saturday- Leftovers/Frozen Pizza (?)
Sunday- Spicy Chicken Lasagna Roll Ups w/ salad

Bonus quick meal- BBQ Sausage with Mac n Cheese
New Dessert- Gooey Peanut Butter-Chocolate Cake

As you can see I planned for 12 'real' meals because with only 2 of us, we always have leftovers. I also planned to make a casserole type dish at the start of the week so I would have left overs to put in Brian's lunch sporadically mixed with sandwiches and such.  I also included a "quick" meal, as something extra were we to need a quick substitute to something, or it could be used as a weekend lunch. I only did one dessert recipie this time simply because I already have cookie dough in the fridge and a few boxed dessert type items in the pantry.

I can't wait to see how it goes! I can tell you, already, after just today, I love the fact that I have everything I need. I made the decision to make the cake and I didn't have to worry about if I had everything. I knew I did and just hopped in the kitchen and got to cooking. I think I'm really going to like the ease of this, and hopefully it will save a little cash too.

How do you shop and cook?

Until tomorrow. If you're still there.

1 comments:

Teenage Bride May 2, 2011 at 3:02 PM  

Good for you for wanting to keep a variety going for your husband! I am sure he really appreciates it.

Post a Comment

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP