Drinking From My Saucer

 Wednesday, November 24, 2010

I couldn't think of what I wanted to blog about today. I actually started several blogs but ended up holding down the delete key and watched the words disappear. Nothing seemed to really fit, or seem interesting, and I didn't want to do the classic "Thanksgiving: What I'm Thankful For" post. No offense to anyone who does that, but it just seems too cliche to me, and almost like we use Thanksgiving to put all of our gratitudes out there once a year so we can somewhat atone for the other 364 days when we act less than grateful. I actually feel similar about Valentines day, but don't tell my husband because I do like flowers and all things shiny.


A dear family friends mother died this week. Actually she is more than a friend. She was my preschool teacher, and has been a very big part of my life since I was three. Her son (who is a Marine and currently deployed) and I created all sorts of mischief growing up. She is my sisters Godmother. She posted this poem today on Facebook with pictures of her mom's last days here on earth as sort of a memorial. 

After reading it I felt the need to share because it just seems to fit the way I feel currently, and also rather fitting of the "giving thanks" mentality. 

I've never made a fortune and it's probably too late now.  But I don't worry about that much, I'm happy anyhow.  And as I go along life's way, I'm reaping better than I sowed.  I'm drinking from my saucer, 'Cause my cup has overflowed.

I don't have a lot of riches, and sometimes the going's tough.  But I've got loved ones around me, and that makes me rich enough.  I thank God for his blessings, and the mercies He's bestowed.  I'm drinking from my saucer, 'cause my cup has overflowed.

I remember times when things went wrong, My faith wore somewhat thin.  But all at once the dark clouds broke, and the sun peeped through again.  So God, help me not to gripe about the tough rows that I've hoed.  I'm drinking from my saucer, 'Cause my cup has overflowed.

If God gives me strength and courage, when the way grows steep and rough.  I'll not ask for other blessings,   I'm already blessed enough.  And may I never be too busy, to help others bear their loads.  Then I'll keep drinking from my saucer, 'Cause my cup has overflowed.

~ John Paul Moore ~

So Happy Thanksgiving everyone! I pray this is my last without Brian, and still can't seem to grasp that this really and truly is our last without a baby. Next year not only will I have my husband home for the holidays, we will have our sweet little one. I can't even fathom how wonderful that will be. We are so blessed, 365 days a year. I simply could not ask for more.

"give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus." 1 Thessalonians 5:18
Until tomorrow. If you're still there.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP