Eating my words...

 Thursday, October 14, 2010

Have you ever eaten your words? I'm sure you have. It seems to be pretty common for everyone to have to at some point or another.

About a week ago I was telling everyone that I had no morning sickness and was really only dealing with some sore boobs and exhaustion. Not too shabby. I had also been thinking, and admitting in private that I was kind of worried and not 'feeling' pregnant since I wasn't getting the full experience of the new expectant mom. 

Well, I spoke too soon, and the pregnancy Gods heard my internal cries. Here I lie on the couch trying to sip on some water, which is also making me queasy. Great. 

I'm also eating my words in another way. Before getting pregnant I really thought that I would just fully embrace morning sickness with open arms, especially after waiting so long for a sweet little bean to get in my belly. I really thought I would never complain. Wrong. Again. I mean I am thankful that I have the opportunity to go through this, especially after years of wanting to get pregnant. I really do try to not complain, other than when I post my new eating adventures on Facebook. I'm trying to take it all in stride, and know that in the end when we meet our sweet little baby it will all be worth it. And mine isn't nearly as bad as some people I know, so I am grateful for that.

Now a few facts about morning sickness.

1- It can happen at any time. Morning, noon, or night. If your really (un)lucky it could last all day. Or like me, come in waves off and on all day.

2- Just because you're queasy doesn't mean you aren't hungry. You actually might be starving, but either nothing will sound good enough to eat, or something will, you will eat it, then feel like shit.

3- Things that taste really good going down, in general, taste really bad coming back up. That sadly doesn't always keep you from wanting to eat it again.

4- You can almost forget following your normal eating habits during this period of your life. I went from eating very healthy, to thinking that pizza, or any carb for that matter, should be considered a major food group that can sustain you without any of the other groups.

5- In conjunction to #4. This is okay. You simply just eat what you can tolerate. Most of the time everything will even out and you can incorporate all of the food groups once you get out of the 1st trimester. So they tell me.

6- And finally, don't be fooled and think just because you made it 6+ weeks with no morning sickness that it wont swoop in and take you from behind. I went from just being extremely hungry to having morning sickness (or all day sickness) over night. True story.

Okay, so you were warned this was going to be a very 'baby' blog from now on. Today was proof. 

Until tomorrow. If you're still there.

4 comments:

Fredda October 14, 2010 at 9:26 AM  

Bless your heart! I recall those days where I felt yucky all day! I can't imagine trying to deal with a grouchy pouch too!
The physicians that I work with recommend something for nausea (albeit very odd)... Salt and vingar potato chips. IT WORKS! Something about the salt and sourness really helps curb your nausea. You can also try the Sea Bands (you wear them on your wrists). Good luck and I hope you begin feeling better soon!

Morgan L October 14, 2010 at 11:54 AM  

Thanks for the suggestion! I'll have to make a run to the store and grab some of those along with some Sprite and grapes.

Kasey October 14, 2010 at 1:32 PM  

Mine didn't hit until about this week, too. And it is BAD.

I had it with my other two but earlier. I was lucky I made it as far as I did without being so sick, I guess, lol.

Jillian October 16, 2010 at 10:24 PM  

Congrats on the pregnancy! I have 2 kids, they are 4 and 1, both girls. Its the toughest job you'll ever love. I didn't have the morning sickness with either of mine, but I did have that hunger! I gained all my weight having both my kids, between the 2 of them I gained 120 pounds. Fortunately you are so much smarter than that and will make healthy food choices. Again, congrats, this is so exciting!

Post a Comment

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP