Turning point.

 Sunday, August 8, 2010

Today marks a very important day in my life. A turning point so to speak. I am officially considering myself a runner. Yes, that is right, Me, former fat girl, a runner. I'm pretty proud.


A few months back I was trying the C25K program. I really was trying, and I did enjoy it, but I just wasn't physically, and maybe mentally, at a point where running a mile straight, much less 3 was feasible. I kind of hung up that hat vowing to come back to it once I dropped some more weight and got in better cardiovascular shape. Brian and I have been talking about completing a Half Marathon (13.1 miles) together once he gets home. He has never run one, nor have I, obviously. Actually, neither of us have ever ran a race period. The conversation has been brought up many times over the past several months, but we never set a date/race, just agreed that we were going to do it. 

Well today is the day that I made an executive decision. (Brian, listen up!) On April, 30th, 2011, Brian and I will be running in the Nashville Country Music Half Marathon! That will give Brian nearly 3 months to train once he is home, and it gives me a little over 7 from now. I honestly cannot put into words how excited I am about this. Before I had surgery I never dreamed of running a 1/2 marathon, though I did wish I could run, even a mile. Today? I ran 3 without the slightest problem, and without having stepped foot on asphalt or a treadmill in well over a month. I'm so proud of myself that it is probably pathetic. But, this is my blog, so its allowed!

We will cross the finish line hand in hand, together. I can only imagine the sense of accomplishment that both of us will feel on that big day. I'm praying they will have a T.A.P.S team or something we can join, so we can run in memory of some of Brian's fallen buddies. I think that would mean a lot to him, and I know I would love to as well.

Between now and then I plan on running in a few 5k's and maybe a 10k if I can find one local enough. I think setting mini goals for myself is key and will keep me motivated. I also plan on continuing my Monday and Friday spinning classes because it is such an amazing workout, and great cardio. And of course, strength training. (I plan on using this blog to hold myself accountable in my training. If I forget, remind me!)

I'm excited about what the future holds. Maybe a marathon or triathlon one day. I'd love for Brian and I to do all of this together, but if he stops with a Half, I'm okay with that. As long as he is there to cheer me on in my other adventures!

So what about you. Do you have a new "title" you have taken on recently? Or, is there one you would like to add to the list of things that define you? Any big goals on your 'bucket list' that you are working towards?

Until tomorrow. If you're still there.

2 comments:

Kasey August 8, 2010 at 7:13 PM  

I would love for my new title to be "runner." But things have been so stressful lately that it hasn't been happening.

However, Stuart and I are thinking about running a 5K in November. So I had better start getting in shape soon!

Victoria Henson,  August 9, 2010 at 1:02 AM  

I'm soooooo proud of you!!! And I know that probably doesnt mean much, but for me to be proud of someone takes a lot. You are doing so awesome!!!!

Post a Comment

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP