Moment of realization.

 Monday, August 9, 2010

Today was supposed to be my spinning class day, but I ended up running instead. My friend that normally does spinning with me was out with a hurt back, so I took that opportunity to go run. I'm pretty glad I did, because I cut my really slow paced time from yesterday by 5mins. Yep, I'm happy about that.

The heat index here has been about 110-115, so running outdoors is really not an option for me. I'm not really in the mood to pass out and die on the road without anyone to even realize I'm missing. So until it cools down I will be running on the treadmill at the gym. I know its "easier" because the pace is set for you, but oh well. Its a good start for a novice like myself.

Yesterday's temp!

It was while I was on said treadmill that I had my moment of realization. About 15mins into my run an obese, probably morbidly obese, woman got on the treadmill next to me and started walking (very slow). As I was running a flood of emotions came over me as I realized that a mere 7 months ago that woman was me. I was the fat girl, on the treadmill walking as best I could shortly after surgery.

I remember feeling so intimidated getting on the treadmill for the first time between all the "freak's" running. It really put things all in perspective to me. I looked up and down the row of treadmills and saw that yes, she was the only one walking, everyone else was running. I felt for her, and I admire her. You have to understand that gyms on a military post are probably even more intimidating than your average gym. Think about it, everyone in the Army is in shape, and has to at least be able to run two miles. Obviously their family members are a different story, but as you can imagine, most of the gym goers are the military folk. As she was getting off and I was still running, I reached over, touched her arm, and said "keep up the good work". I couldn't help it. I felt she needed to know that she was doing a good job. The fact that she was even there IS good enough. Who cares if she wasn't running. Who cares if I wasn't running as fast as the Special Forces soldier 2 treadmills down. Who cares? No one. 

I hope that woman doesn't think I'm a freak. Or think I was rude in some way. I really wanted to tell her my story. Or at least let her know that 7 months ago, I was her. But I thought "keep up the good work", was enough. I hope it was. I hope she continues to go and walk, and maybe one day run. I'm proud of her.

On another note? 

The Cowboys won last night. Heck yes. I also received all my loot from Victoria's Secret today.  All of the Dallas Cowboys stuff is super cute! Its funny how small things still look to me. I'm always so surprised when something ends up fitting. 

This is my new VS swim suite. AKA my reason to keep running!

Now I'm sitting around praying to hear from my husband. I heard earlier today that some pretty crazy things happened at his out post. I know he is fine, thanks to one of his buddies getting on Facebook. I'd just like to hear his voice, or see his face, so I can assess how he is really doing. 

Please continue to keep our soldiers in your prayers. Our soldiers are at war, while we are at the mall.

Until tomorrow. If you're still there.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP