Hello Nurse!

 Sunday, August 1, 2010

Or well August!


To some of you this is just another month in a year of other months. To me this is significant. It means B has been deployed for 6 months. Boo!! But also means we have 6 months or less left to go. Yay! We are now on what I like to refer to as the "down hill" side of deployments. This side of the deployment is also where our R&R will fall (October anyone?!). Even bigger YAY! 

The month of August also starts to feel a lot like fall to me. I know it is technically the last month of summer, but where I'm from, and where I currently live, this is when school starts. To me, school always equates to fall. Fall is a happy time to me for some reason. I love when it starts to get cool and we can wear jeans without them sticking to our legs from sweat. I guess my mind is always 2 step ahead of whats really going on. During deployment I am always looking at the future and planning because somehow that makes me feel better and like things are closer than they really are. I suppose it is my way I lying to myself in order to feel better. Whatever works right?

While were on the topic of fall, and jeans, lets talk about my favorite subject. No not Brian, my other favorite subject. Shopping!



As you all know yesterday was my retail therapy day. I went with a friend, and I was very successful. Probably almost too successful. I'm convoked that my bank account is hating me right now, but it felt so good I don't even care. No buyers remorse here, and that does happen to me sometimes. Normally when I buy something I seriously don't need. Like another $400 purse, but the fact that I needed jeans really did justify the $100 I spent on a pair yesterday. See how that works?

My question to you where do you like to shop? Are you a saver or a spender? I like to think I fall somewhere in the middle. Kind of like that show on HGTV, I think its called Splurge and Save? Its about when to splurge and when to save. 

I personally think that splurging on a pair of jeans is appropriate. You can wear jeans for a very long time (assuming you don't outgrow them, or in my case shrink too small for them), and you wear them more often. By that I mean, even if you only own 5 pairs of jeans and you wear them 7 days a week, thats okay. You can wash them and wear them again with a new shirt and no one knows. Assuming they don't have outrageous designs on them. Shirts on the other hand, well you have to mix those up, especially if you see the same people often. 

What are my favorite places to shop you ask? Where do I find this happy medium of spending and saving? We'll I'll tell you.

  • Old Navy
  • Gap
  • American Eagle
  • Abercrombie & Fitch
  • Express
  • Forever 21
  • Buckle
  • Dillards
  • Victoria's Secret
  • Macy's
  • Nordstroms
I also love finding little on of a kind boutique stores. I find some of my most favorite, unique pieces at these places. Of course you spend more, but in my opinion its worth it knowing that if you buy the medium, no one else your size will have the same shirt because all this is left is one in a small and one in a large. I love being unique, and will gladly pay $90 for some gaudy grandma looking sweater that no one else will have, but everyone will love on me. 

On a given day you might catch me in $100 jeans from Buckle, mixed with an $8 T-shirt from Old Navy, and a $40 jacket from American Eagle or Express. I really am a mix and match kind of girl. If its cute I'll buy it.

Another good way to save? Sign up for the savings programs lots of stores offer! You might not save money immediately, but when its a place you frequent it adds up fast. Who doest love getting a 40% off your entire purchase coupon in the mail? Also, don't forget to do those surveys that they tell you about on the bottom of your receipt. I know I was always bad about not doing those, but then I realized that 10% is taxes! Or $10 off of a $50 purchase is pretty darn good, and if nothing else that covers lunch on a day of shopping. Again, it adds up quick! 

Do you have any money saving tips? Go ahead and share them! Were all ears....or eyes.

Until tomorrow. If you'er still there.

1 comments:

Lauren Ragan August 5, 2010 at 1:28 PM  

Personally, when I walk into any store, I'm hitting the clearance or sale racks first. However, I will splurge on things like a pretty dress or Converse, LOL. Also, when I say splurge, I mean like anything over $30. I'm cheap, what can I say? haha.. But if I could afford it every payday, I would buy and new pair of Converse, but I can't. I actually do a lot of shopping online because I actually hate to shop. I like Zappos.com a lot because its free shipping and its typically over night, even when you don'tchoose the over night options. As far as in store, I like Cato and Lane Bryant. I'm a big girl, so I shop where they sale big clothes.. haha.. Also, online I like Jessica London and the avenue.. :)

Post a Comment

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP