The best things in life...

 Friday, August 6, 2010

They come free.

I was thinking today about all that we spend money on. Not just me, or Brian and I, but all of us. I thought about the value, literally and figuratively, that we put in money. I realized that after all this talk of shopping, and spending, and honestly, trying to be "perfect" it would be nice to get back to basics.

Brian and I were 18 and 17 when we got married, respectively. We started out with quite literally NOTHING (Still don't have enough to write home about. If you know what I mean). When I look back on our short married life together (with many more years to come), it seems more like the story of our grandparents, not the love story of the modern newlywed couple. Now a days its the "norm" for both parties to be college graduates, most with decent, if not good jobs. I admire that. I really really do. That was not the case for Brian and I at all, and I'm so thankful for it that I cannot even put it into words. 

My great aunt and uncle were married young, when he was a private in the Army, stationed in Germany, back in the 50's. Brian and I have been lucky enough to hear several of their stories over the years. Stories we would have never gotten the opportunity to hear had we not, without knowing, followed so closely in their footsteps. They are a huge support for Brian and I even when we go long times without seeing them or hearing from them. We always know they are there silently cheering us on. Its nice to have people two generations older who honestly support and love you, not just because they have to, but because they have been there, and believe in what other people don't, or can't see.

After all my crazy spending lately. Maybe its time to list some of my favorite free things to look back on. Maybe you have some favorite free things to add.

Morgan's Favorite Free (or really cheap) Things:
  1. Words; wether written or spoke, they are free and can really make my day when shared with a kind heart and by the right person.
  2. Smiles. Think about a bad day, and think of how someone giving you a kind smile made you feel. Kind of warm and toasty right?
  3. Nail Polish. You can buy a cheap mini bottle of nail polish for less than a buck. Somethings about a "controlled" change does a person good.
  4. Hot Bath. At the end of a long day, not much is more comforting or relaxing than a hot shower or bath. Melting the day away before bed leads to a fresh day tomorrow.
  5. Music. It doesn't cost anything to listen to the radio. As previously mentioned, I think music is proof there is a common link between all humans. 
  6. Going for a walk (or run). Sometimes its nice to just "be". Nature has a way of leaving a person feel high on life and thankful.
  7. Driving around, with no place to go. I think exploring with nothing but the person you love and a tank of gas is so fun. It costs next to nothing, and its a great story for later.
  8. Love. This one is my favorite. Something about just thinking about love, if you know the real thing, is amazing. 
Until tomorrow. If you're still there.

3 comments:

Sarah Jones,  August 6, 2010 at 11:30 PM  

Sister.. you always say the right things at the right times it seems.. you couldn't have put this into better words. love you!

Megan Willette,  August 7, 2010 at 6:42 AM  

What about those little moments in life that seem to find you when your world is just falling to pieces, you know like when the sky is that beautiful blue, sometimes so blue that it takes your breath away. Or those gorgeous sunsets on bad days...I believe that God shows us those to remind us that even though things are bad now, something good is bound to happen soon.

Those are on my best things in life list.. just thought i'd share it with you. :)

Morgan Latiolais August 7, 2010 at 8:22 AM  

Megan, I love those moments. It is almost like everything just freezes or fades away, even if for only a minute.

Post a Comment

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP